South Carolina Railroads - Savannah Valley Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

SV RR

1854 / 1878*

1885

1886**

McCormick, SC

Anderson, SC
** 1886 - Merged into the Port Royal & Western Carolina Railroad.
+ 1885-1886 - Operated as the Greenville, Laurens & Spartanburg Railroad. Owned by the Augusta & Knoxville Railroad
* 1854 - First charter, apparently nothing done. 1878, totally new charter with new incorporators named.
+ 1852 - Chartered as the Savannah River Valley Railroad, nothing happened.

Twiggs was the original name of a small town ten miles south of Anderson until the Savannah Valley railroad was completed in 1884. That was when the name changed to Starr Station in honor of the first popular railway engineer by that name.

In the 1880s, when the Savannah Valley Railroad was under construction, an unusual event took place in Parksville. The Parks family cemetery was located where the station was to be built and had to be moved. When the grave of Richard Parks was opened, his casket was removed and put on two sawhorses at the gravesite. The metal door of the sealed glass window over the upper body slid open and showed him in a perfect state of preservation. Neighbors, relatives and school children viewed the body before he was reinterred in the Parksville Cemetery. He had died 20 years earlier on April 12, 1861, the day of the first shots on Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor.

From a May 21, 1882 article in the New York Times:

AUGUSTA, Ga., May 20. - Work on the Savannah Valley Railroad, to run from Anderson Court House, S.C., to Dorn's gold mine on the Augusta and Knoxville Road will be commenced immediately.

The 1880 US Census indicates that the Savannah Valley Railroad was already under construction in that year. 

Towns on Route:

McCormick

Petigru (1886) > Badwell (1892)

Bordeaux

Link (1888)

Willington

Mount Carmel

Hester (1887)

Calhoun Falls (1892)

Dry Grove > Latimer (1892)

Lowndesville

Moseley (1888) > Barnes (1912)

Iva (1886) (aka Cooks Station)

Butlersville

Twiggs (1887) > Starr (1892)

Dean (1883)

Orr Station (1900s)

Anderson C.H. > Anderson (1895)



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved