South Carolina Railroads - Greenville & Western Railway

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

G&WR

2006*

2006

Still Operational

Pelzer, SC

Belton, SC

* 2006 - Line acquired from CSX Transportation, Inc.

The Greenville & Western Railway Company, LLC (GRLW), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Western Carolina Railway Service Corporation, owns and operates 12.74 miles of rail line in Anderson County, SC.

This railroad’s roots can be traced back to the original 1910 charter of the Greenville, Spartanburg & Anderson Railway (GS&A). This line was part of a section of the GS&A that was constructed between Greenwood and Greenville between 1910 and 1912 and the company, together with its affiliate Piedmont Traction Company, were collectively recognized by the public as Piedmont & Northern Railway.

Following the 1911 charter of the Piedmont and Northern Railway Company (P&N), both companies were absorbed into the P&N in 1914 and such was the line's identity through 1969. Purchased by Seaboard Coast Line Railroad in that same year, the line, as the result of successive mergers that led to the formation of CSX Transportation, Inc. (CSXT), remained under CSX ownership and operation for over thirty-six (36) years, ending October 20, 2006.

Effective October 21, 2006, GRLW assumed ownership and operation of the line which serves the Belton, Cheddar, Williamston, and Pelzer communities in South Carolina.

Click Here for this company's website, with photos and more information.

Towns on Route:

Pelzer

Williamston

Cheddar

Belton



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved