South Carolina Railroads - Greenville & Northern Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

G&N RR

1920

1920

1997*

Greenville, SC

River Falls, SC
* 1997 - Acquired by the South Carolina Central Railroad.
Was the Greenville & Western Railroad.

The Carolina, Knoxville & Western Railroad was built in South Carolina from Greenville to Marietta in 1888. The railroad was originally chartered to build a line from Augusta, GA, to Knoxville, TN. The line was extended to River Falls for a total of 23 miles, and then was abandoned in 1899 (one of the earlier abandonments on record).

The Greenville & Knoxville Railroad was formed to revive the line in 1907 and ran it until 1914. The company was again reorganized as the Greenville & Western in 1914, and was then renamed the Greenville & Northern in 1920. The line was cut back to Travelers Rest in the mid-1950s, but the section between Travelers Rest and Cleveland was not officially abandoned until 1970.

The South Carolina Central Railroad bought the G&N in April of 1997, and the last train ran on the G&N in January of 1998. Railtex (the owner of SCCR) sold the right of way to the Greenville County Economic Development Corporation. There are reportedly no plans to reopen this line in the works. Most of the remaining G&N is out of service.

Towns on Route:

Greenville

Sans Souci

Travellers Rest

Batson

Marietta

Cleveland

River Falls



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved