South Carolina Railroads - Green Pond, Walterboro & Branchville Railway

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

GPW&B RR

1882

1887

1900*

Green Pond, SC

Walterboro, SC

* 1900 - Merged with the Walterborough & Western Railroad to form the Green Pond, Walterborough & Branchville Railroad.

In 1887 the Green Pond, Walterboro and Branchville Railway opened as a short branch, off the main line of the Charleston & Savannah Railway, to Walterboro, SC. Both the GP&W and the C&S were owned and operated by the Plant System.

The Plant System was a system of railroads and steamboats in the South, taken over by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad in 1902. The original line of the system, named after its owner, Henry B. Plant, was the Savannah, Florida & Western Railway, running across southern Georgia.

Towns on Route:

Green Pond

Walterboro



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved