South Carolina Railroads - Cheraw & Chester Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

C&C RR

1873

1879

1896*

Chester, SC

Lancaster, SC
* 1896 - Re-organized as the Lancaster & Chester Railway.
+ 1882 - The Charlotte, Columbia & Augusta Railroad leased the Cheraw & Chester Railroad for 99 years.

In 1873, a special Act of the South Carolina General Assembly granted a charter to the Cheraw & Chester Railway Company and provided: that the said company is hereby authorized to construct a railroad from Cheraw, in Chesterfield County, to Chester Court House, in Chester County, by such route as shall be found most suitable and advantageous.

Proposed as a way to link distant regions of the country, the railroad was planned to be part of a larger system that would allow for the tranporting of products to and from the South. The early intention was to build a 55-mile railroad that would connect the towns of Cheraw, Lancaster, and Chester within South Carolina.

After the investors had supplied enough money to build thirty (30) miles of track from Chester to Lancaster, their resources were exhausted. The remaining track to Cheraw was never completed. The financial picture for these early investors did not improve.

By June of 1896, the Cheraw & Chester Railroad was in foreclosure, and by court order was sold at auction. Colonel Leroy Springs, founder of Springs Industries, purchased the railroad for $25,000 on the Chester County Court House steps.

From the Fourth Annual Report of the South Carolina Railroad Commissioners issued in 1882, the following stations were named for the Cheraw & Chester Railroad:

Station................................................ Distance between Stations

Chester................................................................. 0 miles
Hollis ................................................................... 5 miles
Orr's .................................................................... 15 miles
Lagrange .............................................................. 1 mile
Knox's ................................................................. 1 mile
McDaniel's ........................................................... 2 miles
Richbourg ............................................................. 2 miles
Basconville ........................................................... 3 miles
Cedar Shoals Factory ........................................... 3 miles
Fort Lawn ............................................................ 2 miles
River .................................................................... 2 miles
Waxhaw ............................................................... 3 miles
Miller's .................................................................. 2 miles
Lancaster .............................................................. 2 miles

Towns on Route:

Chester C.H. > Chester (1886)

La Grange

Rich Hill Cross Roads > Richburg (1879)

Basconville (1882) > Bascomville (1883)

Cedar Shoal > Fort Lawn (1882)

Waxhaw

Lancaster C.H. > Lancaster (1877)



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved