A History of Pickensville, South Carolina

Pickens County was Cherokee Indian Territory until the American Revolution. The Cherokees sided with the British, suffered defeat, and surrendered their South Carolina lands. This former Cherokee territory was included in the Ninety-Six District.

In 1791, the state legislature established Washington District, a judicial area composed of present-day Greenville, Anderson, Pickens, and Oconee counties, at that time composed of Greenville and Pendleton counties.

Streets for the court house town of Pickensville (near present-day Easley) were laid off, and soon a cluster of buildings arose that perhaps included a large wooden hotel, which served as a stagecoach stop. In 1798, Washington District was abolished, and the territory was divided into Greenville District and Pendleton District.

In the new Pendleton District, which included what eventually became Anderson, Oconee, and Pickens counties, the town of Pickensville was now just another town. In 1826, the Pendleton District (county) was abolished and Pickensville was now in the new county of Pickens District (county). Soon thereafter Pickensville began to decline for a while until it was renamed to Easley.

In the Washington District, Pickensville was granted a U.S. Post Office on April 1, 1795, and its first Postmaster was Mr. William Gunn. In 1798, Pickensville was now in Pendleton District. In 1826, Pendleton District (county) was abolished and Pickensville was then in Pickens District (county). On October 11, 1875, the Post Office Department officially changed the name of Pickensville to Easley, with Postmaster J. Riley Glazener. This Post Office has been in continuous operation since inception in 1795.

© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved