South Carolina - Acts on Education Topics

An Act to Incorporate Certain Religious and Charitable Societies, and Societies for the Advancement of Education, and to Renew the Charters of Others Heretofore Granted.

December 20, 1853

The Statutes at Large of South Carolina, Volume XII, Pages 210-211.

I & II - Religious societies and societies for the advancement of education incorporated:

- The Cedar Spring and Lower Long Cane Churches (Associate Reformed Presbyterian) in Abbeville District;
- The German Evangelical Lutheran Church of Walhalla;
- The Steep Bottom Baptist Church of Saint Peter's Parish;
- The Bethlehem Church in Edgefield District, with the camp ground adjacent thereto;
- The Evangelical Lutheran Church at Newberry by the name of Luther's Chapel;
- The Independent or Congregational Church of Wappetaw with power to establish a branch church at Mount Pleasant in Christ Church Parish;
- The Baptist Church at Broadmouth in Abbeville District;
- The Methodist Society at Union Camp Ground in Abbeville District;
- The Fairview Methodist Protestant Church in Anderson District;
- The Washington Street Presbyterian Church in Greenville;
- The Townville Baptist Church in Anderson;
- The Hartville Baptist Church in Darlington;
- The Covington* Seminary in Edgefield; and
- The Cokesbury Masonic Female Institute.

III - Charters renewed:

- Black Swamp Baptist Church in Beaufort District;
- Goose Creek Baptist Church in St. James, Goose Creek Parish;
- Protestant Episcopal Church in Greenville; and
- Pendleton Academy.

IV. That this Act is hereby declared to be a Public Act.

In the Senate House, the twentieth day of December, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty-three, and in the seventy-eighth year of the sovereignty and independence of the United States of America.

ROBT. F. W. ALLSTON, President of the Senate.
JAMES SIMONS, Speaker of the House of Representatives.

*This Act got the name wrong. It should have been entered as the Curryton Seminary in Edgefield. The legislature fixed the name on December 20, 1856 - Click Here to view the Act making this correction.


© 2016 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved