In the South Carolina lowcountry, Beaufort District was formed
in 1769 as one of seven original "overarching Districts."
In 1785, Beaufort District
was divided into four counties: Granville, Hilton, Lincoln, and
Shrewsbury. These counties never became fully functional, and
in 1798 these counties were abolished.
In 1868, Beaufort District was designated Beaufort
County. Its county seat, the town of Beaufort, is on U.S.
Highway 21, about forty miles northwest of Savannah, GA and 110
miles south of Columbia. Since the U.S. Civil War, the Marines
have used Beaufort County's Parris Island as a training base.
Beaufort County is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean, the South
Carolina counties of Jasper and Colleton, and the Georgia county
A 1785 map shows that present-day Allendale
County to have once been a portion of the northern part of Lincoln
County and Shrewsbury County, both within Beaufort District at
that time. These entities do not appear on the 1791 Circuit Court
District map. Shrewsbury County was officially abolished in 1798.