In the South Carolina lowcountry, Beaufort District was formed
in 1769 as one of seven original "overarching Districts."
In 1785, Beaufort District
was divided into four counties: Granville, Hilton, Lincoln, and
Shrewsbury. These counties never became functional, and in 1798
these four counties were abolished.
In 1868, Beaufort District was designated Beaufort
County. Its county seat, the town of Beaufort, is on U.S.
Highway 21, about forty miles northwest of Savannah, GA and 110
miles south of Columbia. Since the U.S. Civil War, the Marines
have used Beaufort County's Parris Island as a training base.
Beaufort County is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean, the South
Carolina counties of Jasper and Colleton, and the Georgia county