North Carolina Railroads - Street Railways - Pinehurst

Click Here for an excellent write-up on the history of "Street Railways" in North Carolina provided by Walter R. Turner.

The following two (2) known "Street Railways" were operational in the town of Pinehurst from 1896 to 1904, when the last line ceased operations.

Pinehurst Electric Railway Company

Year Chartered

Year Operational

Year Ended

Length of Line

1896

1896

1900

8.5 miles

When James W. Tufts of Boston began buying land and planning the village of Pinehurst in the early 1890s, he needed a convenient way for his guests to be transported the six (6) miles from the Southern Pines railroad station to his new village of Pinehurst. He quickly established an electric street railway between the two communities by 1896, primarily for passengers but also for freight. During the winter, there were seven scheduled trips daily, costing fifteen (15) cents per ride.

The 2nd Annual Report of the North Carolina Corporation Commission, dated December 31, 1900, reported that the Pinehurst Electric Railway Company operated seven (7) miles of track from Southern Pines to Pinehurst, and carried 16,866 passengers in the year of 1900. The last known officers of the company were: James W. Tufts of Boston as President; L. Tufts of Boston as Secretary; and, C.D. Benbow of Pinehurst as Superintendent.

Pinehurst Railroad Company

Year Chartered

Year Operational

Year Ended

Length of Line

1902

1902

1904

7 miles

The 4th Annual Report of the North Carolina Corporation Commission, dated December 31, 1902, reported that the Pinehurst Railroad Company operated seven (7) miles of track. The original officers of the company were: Leonard Tufts of Boston as President; William T. Jennay of Boston as Secretary-Treasurer; and, T.B. Cotter of Pinehurst as Superintendent.

The 6th Annual Report of the North Carolina Corporation Commission, dated December 31, 1904, reported that the original officers of 1902 continued to manage the company. The company operated seven (7) miles of track from Southern Pines to Pinehurst, two (2) box passenger cars equipped for electric power, and one (1) open passenger car equipped for electric power.

One source asserts that this Street Railway continued to operate until 1907. Another source asserts that this Street Railway continued to operate until 1911. The North Carolina Corporation Commission ceased reporting anything about this Street Railway in their 1904 report.



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved