North Carolina Railroads - Street Railways - Hendersonville

Click Here for an excellent write-up on the history of "Street Railways" in North Carolina provided by Walter R. Turner.

The following three (3) known "Street Railways" were operational in the city of Hendersonville from 1891 to 1918, when the last line ceased operations.

Hendersonville Street Railway Company

Year Chartered

Year Operational

Year Ended

Length of Line

1891

1891

1904

1.5 miles

In 1894, Johnston's Electrical & Street Railway Directory reported that the Hendersonville Street Railway Company operated three (3) streetcars on three (3) miles of track in the town of Hendersonville, North Carolina. They also reported that the only company officer was S.V. Pickens as Owner and General Manager.


Stephen Streetcar Advertisement

In 1902, the American Street Railway Investments magazine reported that the Hendersonville Street Railway Company operated three (3) horse-drawn "Stephenson" cars on 1.5 miles of track in the town of Hendersonville, North Carolina. The singular company officer named was S.V. Pickens as Owner and General Manager.

Laurel Park Street Railway Company

Year Chartered

Year Operational

Year Ended

Length of Line

1905

1905

1918

1.5 miles

In 1905, William A. Smith opened the Laurel Park Railroad Company. For seven years, the "Dummy line" carried passengers from Main Street down Fifth Avenue to a dance pavilion and lake which Smith had established at Laurel Park, south of town. With the coming of the automobile and bus lines, the Laurel Park Street Railway ceased operations in 1918, and the tracks were permanently removed in 1921.

The 15th Annual Report of the North Carolina Corporation Commssion, dated December 31, 1913, reported that the Laurel Park Street Railway Company operated two (2) passenger cars on one (1) mile of track within the city limits of Hendersonville and 1.5 miles of track outside of the city limits. Approximately 64,000 passengers were carried in the year of 1913. The company officers were: W.A. Smith of Hendersonville as President, Manager, and Superintendent; and, A.H. Smith of Hendersonville as Secretary-Treasurer.

Hendersonville Traction Company

Year Chartered

Year Operational

Year Ended

Length of Line

1912

1912

1914

4 miles

The 14th Annual Report of the North Carolina Corporation Commission, dated December 31, 1912, reported that the Hendersonville Traction Company operated one (1) electric passenger car on 1.4 miles of track within the town of Hendersonville, North Carolina. 6,605 passengers were carried from May 4, 1912 to December 31, 1912. The original company officers were: U.G. Staton of Hendersonville as President & Manager; and, D.S. Pace of Hendersonville as Secretary & Treasurer.

The Electric Railway Journal of January 4, 1913 reported: "C.A. Carlson, Red Bank, NJ, is reported to have purchased the property of the Hendersonville Traction Company, which operates about four miles of line in Hendersonville."


Carlson Gasoline Car - 1910

The Electric Railway Journal of June 19, 1915 reported: "The Hendersonville Traction Company, it is understood, would entertain an offer to purchase its property. The line is 2 miles long from the railroad depot to Columbia Park. Two Carlson gasoline cars are operated. The president of the company is David L. Fuller."



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved