North Carolina Railroads - Street Railways - Burlington

Click Here for an excellent write-up on the history of all known "Street Railways" in North Carolina provided by Walter R. Turner.

The following two (2) known "Street Railways" were operational in the city of Burlington from 1912 to 1924, when the last line ceased operations.

Piedmont Railway & Electric Company

Year Chartered

Year Operational

Year Ended

Length of Line

1912

1912

1917

8.40 miles

J. W. Murray of Burlington and Junius H. Harden of Graham, started the Piedmont Railway & Electric Company in 1912. The company ran streetcars between Burlington, Graham, the county seat of Alamance County; and Haw River, a community that included a concentration of textile mills along the river. Fares were five cents, except for the Burlington-Haw River run, which cost ten costs.

In 1912, the officers were: J.W. Murray of Burlington as President; James Mullen of Richmond as Secretary & Treasurer; and, George W. Hatch of Burlington was Manager & Superintendent. The company recorded 8.11 miles of track, fourteen (14) passenger cars, and 298,050 passengers in 1912.

In 1916, the officers were: J.H. Bridgers of Henderson was President and Manager; James Mullen of Richmond was Treasurer; G.W. Hatch of Burlington was Superintendent. The company recorded 8.4 miles of track, ten (10) passenger cars, one electric locomotive, and twenty (20) employees in 1916.

Investors from Richmond purchased the local streetcar and utility company, and renamed it the Piedmont Power & Light Company on November 30, 1917. On that same date, the new owners sold all street railway assets to the Alamance Railway Company.

Alamance Railway Company

Year Chartered

Year Operational

Year Ended

Length of Line

1917

1917

1924

8.80 miles

For 1921, the company recorded 8.8 miles of track and 316,403 passengers.

The Electric Railway Journal of March 10, 1923 reported: "The property of the Piedmont Power & Light Company, Burlington, NC, had been sold to Philadelphia and New York public service operators, according to the announcement. The power and light plant at Burlington has been in operation for thirteen years, being operated in connection with the Alamance Railway, a street railway connecting Burlington, Graham and Haw River."

"The Piedmont Power & Light Company has been owned and controlled in the past by J. R. Paschall, Warner Moore of Richmond, Va., Junius H. Harden, John M. Cook and the State Realty Company of Burlington."

"W. R. Dixon, formerly connected with the Kentucky & West Virginia Power Company, has been chosen manager of the concern under the new ownership. He comes from Logan, W. Va. It is understood that the purchase price of the power and light plant was about $1,000,000. It is further understood that the sale of the power and light plant does not affect the Alamance Railway, an 8-mile line, which has been operated jointly with the power and light plant, and that the railway will be continued as usual."


The Electric Railway Journal - July 12, 1924

The Electric Railway Journal of October 25, 1924 reported: "The Alamance Street Railway, Burlington, NC, has abandoned operation and is now being dismantled. Early in the present year J. H. Bridges was appointed receiver as a result of defaulted payment of interest on $120,000 in bonds held by the petitioner. The receivership order was signed by Federal Judge E. Yates Webb on petition of the American Trust Company of Richmond, Va. At that time the receiver was authorized to continue the operation of the line connecting Burlington, Graham and Haw River. The railway is 8 miles long."



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved