North Carolina Railroads - Wilmington, Columbia & Augusta Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

WC&A RR

1887*

1870*

1897**

Wilmington, NC

Columbia, SC
** 1897 - Merged into the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad of South Carolina. Never made it to Augusta.
+ 1885 - Leased to the Wilmington & Weldon Railroad for 99 years.
+ 1871 - The Wilmington & Weldon Railroad of North Carolina and the Wilmington, Columbia & Augusta Railroad agreed to joinly market their railroads as the Atlantic Coast Line.
* 1870 - The renaming of the Wilmington & Carolina Railroad, but this name change was not confirmed by the NC State Legislature and the SC State Legislature until 1887.

The Wilmington & Manchester Railroad was chartered in 1847 and opened in 1854 from Wilmington west to Camden Crossing, SC on the South Carolina Railroad's branch to Camden - a total of 161-1/2 miles. After the U.S. Civil War, the company was acquired in 1870 by the Wilmington & Carolina Railroad, opening an extension west to Columbia, SC in 1871, but never reaching Augusta, GA.

In 1897, it was merged into the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad of South Carolina, which subsequently merged into the overall Atltantic Coast Line Railroad in 1900.

From the 2nd Annual Report of the South Carolina Railroad Commissioner, dated October 31, 1880:

"The Wilmington, Columbia and Augusta Railroad Company was originally the Wilmington and Manchester Railroad Company, running from Wilmington to Kingsville, S.C.

"The Wilmington and Manchester Railroad was chartered by the State of South Carolina, December 18th, 1846, and by the State of North Carolina, January 9th, 1847. This Road was sold under orders of the Courts of North and South Carolina for the purpose of foreclosing the various mortgages, January 5, 1870.

"Was purchased by Messrs. W.T. Walters, B.F. Newcomer, and D.W. James, for themselves and trustees for others. Was chartered as the Wilmington and Carolina Railroad Company, by the State of South Carolina, March 1st 1870, and the State of North Carolina, March 1st, 1870, with power and authority to change the name, as the majority of the persons who are purchasers may designate and adopt at their first meeting, after the passage of this Act. At a meeting held April 26th, 1870, the name was changed to the Wilmington, Columbia and Augusta Railroad Company, to go into effect April 27th, 1870. Was opened to Columbia, S.C., about 13th of December, 1871."

From the 1st Annual Report of the North Carolina Railroad Commission, dated December 31, 1891:

The Wilmington, Columbia & Augusta Railroad Company was organized January, 1847, under the laws of the States of North and South Carolina. Re-organized March 1st, 1870, under the name of the Wilmington & Carolina Railroad Company, which was changed to Wilmington, Columbia & Augusta Railroad Company. On June 1st, 1885, the Wilmington, Columbia & Augusta Railroad was leased to the Wilmington & Weldon Railroad Company for ninety-nine years.

Property Operated:

Wilmington, Columbia & Augusta Railroad, from Wilmington to Columbia--------------- 192 miles.

From a January 22, 1880 article in the New York Times:

BALTIMORE, Jan. 21. - A meeting of the first mortgage bondholders and holders of the registered certificates of the Wilmington, Columbia and Augusta Railroad Company was held to-day, at the office of Horace Abbott, in this city, to take steps to reorganize the road. The committee, consisting of B.F. Newcomer, Chairman; T.C. Jenkins, John S. Gilman, Frank P. Clark, and P.R. Tompkins, reported that it had purchased the railroad in the interests of the first mortgage bondholders. The report of the committee was adopted, and it was decided that the road be at once reorganized. An election for officers was then held, with the following result: President - R.R. Bridges; Directors - W.T. Walters, S.M. Shoemaker, B.F. Newcomer, H.B. Short, George S. Brown, George C. Jenkins, H.B. Plant, J.G. Cameron, and Enoch Pratt. The company will begin with $900,000 capital stock, and bonds will be issued to the amount of $1,600,000, bearing interest at the rate of 6 per cent per annum, payable in gold, in New-York City, on the first days of June and December. The plan of reorganization will give every holder of $2,000 worth of old bonds, with accompanying coupons and certificates, $1,000 in new bonds and six shares of stock.

Towns on Route (in NC):

Wilmington

Mears Bluff (1880s)

Navassa (1916)

Leland (1898)

Farmer's Turnout (1878) > Turnout (1887

Malmo (1888)

Robeson > New Berlin (1907)

Freeman (1886)

Byrdsville

Bolton

Turnout No. 1 > Waccamaw (1883)

Wananish (1899)

Flemington > Lake Waccamaw (1883)

Artesia (1907)

Bogue > Hallsboro (1884)

Whiteville Depot (1874) > Vineland (1885)

Peacocks Store

Chadbourn (1882)

Grists Station > Grists (1892)

Cerro Gordo

Fair Bluff

NC/SC State Line



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved