North Carolina Railroads - Wilmington, Chadbourn & Conwayborough Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

WC&C RR

1883

1887

1887*

Chadbourn, NC

Conway, SC
* 1887 - Name changed to the Wilmington, Chadbourn & Conway Railroad.

In 1887, the enterprising Chadbourn Lumber Company of North Carolina built a railroad from the Wilmington, Columbia, & Augusta Railroad south to the Waccamaw River to open up the forests of northern Horry County for the timber industry.

The Wilmington, Chadbourn & Conwayborugh Railroad extended the company’s rails from Mt. Tabor, NC, to Conway, SC and ran the first train into Conway on December 15, 1887.

This company differed from most in that it paid in silver dollars which it hauled in kegs along the route to pay the construction workers. The silver was accompanied by armed guards, but there is no record of any attempt to hijack the payroll.

This railroad was acquired by the Wilmington, Columbia & Augusta Railroad in 1896, which was already considered to be part of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad.

aka Wilmington & Conway Railroad.

Towns on Route (in NC):

Chadbourn (1882)

Clarendon (1885)

Mount Tabor (1885) > Tabor (1895) > Tabor City (1935)

NC/SC State Line



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved