North Carolina Railroads - Western Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

WRR

1852

1861

1879*

Fayetteville, NC

Egypt, NC
* 1879 - Merged into the Cape Fear & Yadkin Valley Railway.

The Western Railroad was chartered in 1852 to build a 43 mile line from Fayetteville northwest to the coalfields of Egypt, about seven miles beyond Sanford. Right-of-way was procured during a six year period, construction began in 1858, and trains were hauling coal to Fayetteville by 1861.

When the U.S. Civil War began a few years later, this line became very important to the Confederacy. Coal from Egypt was shipped to Fayetteville by rail and to Wilmington by barge, where it kept locomotive and schooner boilers alive for the duration of the war effort.

At the close of the war in 1865, the Western Railroad suffered great damage at the hand of Union troops under General William Tecumseh Sherman. They destroyed twelve miles of track, shops, depots, and railroad buildings near Fayetteville. However, the locomotives and rolling stock were spared, since the railroad had moved them to Egypt for safekeeping. Luckily, General Sherman chose not to go there.

The line was rehabilitated by 1868.

By 1871, interconnections were being established with other railroads, and the line was being extended from Egypt towards High Point. Business continued until 1879, when the Western Railroad and the Mt. Airy and Ore Knob Railroad were merged into the new Cape Fear and Yadkin Valley Railway.

Towns on Route:

Fayetteville

Silver Run (1852) > Manchester (1852) > Spring Lake (1948)

Spout Springs (1870) > Flee Hill (1904) > Pineview (1906)

Swanns Station (1867) > Swann Station (1893)

Rollins Store > Jonesborough (1865) > Sanford (1872)

Jonesborough #2 (1872) > Jonesboro (1893)

Branch (1856) > Egypt Depot (1867) > Egypt (1894) > Cumnock (1895)



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved