North Carolina Railroads - Washington & Plymouth Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

W&P RR

1887

1889

1904*

Washington, NC

Plymouth, NC
* 1904 - Acquired by Norfolk & Southern Railway.
In March of 1904, the Norfolk & Southern Railway purchased the Washington & Plymouth Railroad, which ran between those North Carolina towns. The Norfolk & Southern Railway extended this line 10-1/2 miles from Plymouth to Mackeys Ferry to create a main line 135 miles long, which required a nine-mile ferry trip from Edenton to Mackeys Ferry.

The Washington & Plymouth Railroad was built by the Roanoke Railroad & Lumber Company from 1887 to 1889 with 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge rails. It became a common carrier in 1901, and was converted to 4 ft. 8-1/2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge by the Norfolk & Southern Railway in 1904.

The service included a ferry from Edenton to Mackey's Ferry, which was replaced by a bridge in 1910.

Towns on Route:

Plymouth

Pinetown (1894)

Washington

Line Extension Plymouth to Mackeys Ferry (c.1904):

Plymouth

Mackeys Ferry > Mackeys (1913)

The Sixth Annual Report of the North Carolina Corporation Commission for the Year Ending December 31, 1904, with Compilations from Railroad Returns for the Year Ending June 30, 1904, includes the route of the Washington & Plymouth Railroad, including mileage:

Stations in Order (33.22 miles) (acquired by Norfolk & Southern Railway in 1904):

Washington
Hooten Town
Runyon
Hull Swamp
Alligoods
State Stone
Walla Walla
Pine Town
Mizzelles
Hoke
Henson
Reno
Plymouth



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved