North Carolina Railroads - Red Springs & Northern Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

RS&N RR

1960s

1960s

Still Operational

Parkton, NC

Red Springs, NC
Acquired by private interests from Seaboard Air Line Railway.

Sometime between 1967 and the present, the old line from Parkton to Red Springs changed hands again, and became known as the Red Springs & Northern Railroad. Today the track continues to interchange with the busy CSX mainline at Parkton. Sidings remain in Lumber Bridge, north of Shannon, and in Red Springs. Trestles in good condition bridge many streams. The line ends on the south side of Red Springs.

On December 20, 2004, ownership of the railroad was transferred from Advancement, Inc to the Red Springs & Northern Foundation. The RS&N Foundation is a tax-exempt corporation, with goals of revitalizing the line, restoring rail service, and continuing restoration of the depot at Parkton.

Towns on Route:

Parkton

Lumber Bridge

Shannon

Red Springs



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved