North Carolina Railroads - Laurinburg & Southern Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

L&S RR

1909

1909

Still Operational

Laurinburg, NC

Fontcol, NC

Extended northward to Raeford and southward to Johns after 1917.  

The Wagram-Raeford line was originally built by the Aberdeen & Rockfish Railroad in 1909, then sold to the Laurinburg & Southern Railroad in 1921.

The Laurinburg & Southern Railroad operates in south-central North Carolina from Johns through Laurinburg to Raeford, serving shippers in Scotland and Hoke counties. The railroad, which began operations in 1909, is now owned by the Gulf & Ohio Railways of Knoxville, TN. The Laurinburg & Southern Railroad connects with CSX and the Aberdeen & Rockfish Railroad.

Commodities carried by the railroad are grain, fertilizer, soda ash, coal, and lime. The company owns four (4) locomotives and transports over 7,500 carloads annually.

Click Here for the Gulf & Ohio's website, with photos and more info.
Organized on March 8, 1909 under the laws of North Carolina. Charter issued via the Public Laws of 1909, ratified on March 2, 1909 by the NC State Legislature.

From the Twelfth Annual Report of the North Carolina Corporation Commission, dated December 31, 1910, with a Compilation of Railroad Returns for the Year Ending June 30, 1910:

President ................................................... John F. McNair .................................... Laurinburg, NC
Secretary & Treasurer ............................... John A. Jones ....................................... Laurinburg, NC

Property Operated - Johns, NC to Wagram, NC ..................................................... 18.00 miles

Capital Stock ........................................................................................................... $44,700.00
Cost of Road ......................................................................................................... $159,833.00
Cost of Equipment .................................................................................................... $21,452.00

Employees ................................................................................................................ 16

Towns on Route:

Raeford

Fontcol > Wagram (1910)

Laurinburg

John Station > Johns (1912)

The Thirteenth Annual Report of the North Carolina Commission for the Year Ending December 31, 1911, with Compilations from Railroad Returns for the Year Ending June 30, 1911, includes the route of the Laurinburg & Southern Railroad:

Towns on Route (18 miles):
Johns
Carmichael
Camps
Laurinburg
Buchanans
Fair Ground
Blues
Scotch Grove
Shaws
Spring Hill
Wagram



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved