North Carolina Railroads - East Carolina Railway / Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

ECR

1889

1900

1965

Tarboro, NC

Farmville, NC
1965 - Abandoned.
+ 1931 - Leased to and operated by Henry Clark Bridgers of Tarboro, NC.
+ 1908 - Extended to Hookerton, NC.
+ 1898 - Company organized on July 1, 1898 under the laws of North Carolina. Charter amended and enlarged by Legislative Act dated March 11, 1901.

The East Carolina Railway was a short line that interchanged at Farmville, NC with the original Norfolk Southern. The railroad was organized and initially presided over by Henry Clark Bridgers, the nephew of Robert Rufus Bridgers, who was the president of the Wilmington & Weldon Railroad.

The East Carolina Railway/Railroad shut down in 1965. There still exists a railroad diamond crossing in Farmville that can be seen from aerial photos.

There are many contemporaneous references to this line as the East Carolina Railway and the East Carolina Railroad. Which one is correct is currently unknown. The NC Legislature chartered the line as East Carolina Railroad. But, the NC Corporation Commission report of 1900 identifies it as East Carolina Railway.

Towns on Route:

Tarboro

Pinetops (1900)

Macclesfield (1900)

Fountain (1902)

Farmville

Maury (1909)

Hookerton

The Sixth Annual Report of the North Carolina Corporation Commission for the Year Ending December 31, 1904, with Compilations from Railroad Returns for the Year Ending June 30, 1904, includes the route of the East Carolina Railroad, including mileage:

Stations in Order (26 miles - as of 1904):

Tarboro
Henrietta
Daviston
Pinetop
Macclesfield
Turnages
Toddy
Farmville

The Tenth Annual Report of the North Carolina Corporation Commission, dated December 31, 1908, with Compilations from Railroad Returns for the Year Ending June 30, 1908:

President/Treasurer & General Manager ...................... Henry Clark Bridgers .................... Tarboro, NC
Auditor ....................................................................... W. Rutland .................................... Tarboro, NC
Assistant Auditor ........................................................ W.E. Shearin .................................. Tarboro, NC
Secretary & General Passenger Agent ......................... Haywood Foxhall ........................... Tarboro, NC

Property Operated - Tarboro to Hookerton, NC ................................................................. 38.20 miles

Capital Stock Authorized ..................................................................................................... $300,000.00
Cost of Construction & Equipment .......................................................................................$259,000.00
Funded Debt ........................................................................................................................$261,000.00

The Thirteenth Annual Report of the North Carolina Commission for the Year Ending December 31, 1911, with Compilations from Railroad Returns for the Year Ending June 30, 1911, includes the route of the East Carolina Railway:

Stations on Route (39 miles):
Tarboro
Junction
Henrietta
Stallings
Davistown
Pinetops
Toddy
Farmville
N&S Crossing
Bynums
Maury
Hookerton
Hookerton Terminals



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved