North Carolina Railroads - Caldwell & Northern Railroad

Acronym

Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point

C&N RR

1893

1893

1910*

Lenoir, NC

Collettsville, NC
*1910 merged into the Carolina & Northwestern Railway.
+ 1905 - acquired by the Carolina & Northwestern Railway, retained its name until 1910.
Was the Lower Creek & Linville Valley Transporation Company. On February 25, 1893, the NC Legislature ratified an Act to change the charter of this to the new name of Caldwell & Northern Railroad.

When the Chester & Lenoir Narrow Gauge Railroad arrived in Lenoir, North Carolina in 1884, it sparked "railroad fever" in the area. A number of companies offered stock and subscription for railroad construction, but none were built.

However, in 1891, a charter was issued to the Caldwell Land & Lumber Company for construction of a railroad. In 1893, a line was constructed from Lenoir to Collettsville, and was named the Caldwell & Northern Railroad. At completion, the line owned two locomotives, one passenger car, and twenty-one (21) flatcars. It was little more than a logging line that supported the numerous furniture factories in and around Lenoir.

The Caldwell & Northern Railroad gradually expanded its operations southwesterly and made money for its owners. By 1903, it had extended the line up Wilson Creek when it ran out of funds. The Carolina & Northwestern Railway gained control of the line in 1905, but operated it as a separate entity. The tracks were extended up Wilson Creek to Mortimer, and by 1906 it made it to Edgemont.

In 1910, the line was merged into the Carolina & Northwestern Railway to provide better service to its customers.

Towns on Route:

Lenoir

Valmead (1909)

Glenburnie (faded 1903)

Collettsville

Houck > Mortimer (1905)

Edgemont (1907)

The Sixth Annual Report of the North Carolina Corporation Commission for the Year Ending December 31, 1904, with Compilations from Railroad Returns for the Year Ending June 30, 1904, includes the route of the Caldwell & Northern Railroad, including mileage:

Stations in Order (11 miles - as of 1904):

Lenoir
Caldwell Mills
Setzers
Olivet
Colletsville



© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved