North Carolina Railroads - Albemarle & Pantego Railroad


Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point





Mackeys Ferry, NC

Pantego, NC

1887 Map
*1891 - Merged with the newly-re-organized Norfolk & Southern Railway. Extended line to Belleport/Belhaven by 1891.  The line from Pinetown to Bishops Crossing was built by Norfolk Southern as a “shortcut” to Belhaven in 1909.

In 1887, a new industry came to Washington County, North Carolina under the name of John L. Roper Land and Lumber Company. John L. Roper, who was originally from Pennsylvania, first became familiar with the town when he was a union soldier stationed in Virginia. He saw the potential of the area for lumber production, and after the Civil War he returned to the town that today bears his name. In tribute to the new industry, the name of the town of Lees Mills was changed to Roper, on August 14, 1889. The town of Roper was chartered in 1906, and it quickly became a boomtown. During its peak, the Roper Lumber Company was the biggest supplier of cedar shingles in the United States.

The John L. Roper Lumber Company was one of the largest lumber companies in the United States. Mr. Roper had lumber mills throughout North Carolina and Virginia. The mill closest to Roper was in Belhaven. Logs were brought to and from Virginia and North Carolina on Mr. Roper’s railroad, The Albemarle & Pantego Railroad. They crossed the Albemarle Sound and entered Mackey’s Ferry and made their way to Roper. The railroad eventually ran south, straight through the middle of Roper on its way to Belhaven. The railroad ran along what is now Railroad Street.

Towns on Route:

Mackeys Ferry > Mackeys (1913)

Lees Mills > Roper (1889)

Wenona (1913)

Bishop (1894)


Belleport (1891) > Belhaven (1898)

2nd Line - Completed in 1909 by Norfolk & Southern Railway:



Terra Ceia

Bishops Crossing


© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved