North Carolina Railroads - Aberdeen & Star Railroad


Year Chartered or Incorporated

Year Line Operational

Year Service Ended

Original Starting Point

Original Ending Point





Aberdeen, NC

Star, NC
*1889 - Re-organized as Aberdeen & West End Railroad.

Thirteen miles from Aberdeen and thirteen miles from Carthage through mostly woodlands brings you to Daniel McDonald’s turpentine distillery. To help with transporting timber and naval stores from the field to the local commercial areas, McDonald cleared a path for a railway from Southern Pines to his turpentine distillery. He then had Allison Francis Page of Aberdeen to build his railway.

It was not a proper railway but a wooden railway of sorts with four-by-four wooden rails on huge crossties. Mule drawn cars rumbled along these ways, fetching timber from both sides of the track. Mr. Page soon wanted to build a proper railroad. He began a steam rail along the McDonald right of way and completed the Aberdeen and Star Railroad in 1888. At the railhead, the most western extension, sprung up a town that was called West End.

The railroad is the reason the towns of Candor, Biscoe and Star exist today. Star was the end of the Aberdeen & Star Railroad. Railroad men called it “The Briar Patch.” During that time, the railroad was extended from Star to Asheboro and hauled lumber, pottery, and peaches to connections going north. Seagrove had a thriving industry making railroad ties.

Railroad men stayed at the Candor Hotel and were treated like gentlemen in Annie Lee Ewings’ restaurant with the white tablecloths and china coffee cups, not to mention the mouth watering menu.

Towns on Route:

Blues Crossing > Aberdeen (1887)

Victor (1889) > West End (1890)

Old Stores (1892-1899)

Eagle Springs (1890)

Pharsala (1888) > Eagle Springs #2 (1892)

Inland (1890-1896)


Filo (1888) > Biscoe (1897)

Hunsuckers Store > Star (1887)

© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved