|Railroad lines already operational in North Carolina
prior to 1921:
- Aberdeen & Rockfish Railroad
- Appalachian Railway
- Atlantic & Carolina Railroad
- Atlantic & Western Railroad / Railway
- Black Mountain Railroad
- Bonlee & Western Railway
- Carolina Railroad
- Carolina & Northeastern Railroad
- Carolina & Northwestern Railroad
- Cliffside Railroad
- Dover & Southbound Railroad
- Durham & Southern Railway
- East Carolina Railway
- East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad
- Elkin & Alleghany Railroad
- Kinston-Carolina Railroad & Lumber Co.
- Laurinburg & Southern Railroad
- Lawndale Railway
- Linville River Railway
- Louisville & Nashville Railroad
- Maxton, Alma & Southbound Railroad
- Piedmont & Northern Railway (Electric)
- Raleigh & Charleston Railway
- Tennessee & North Carolina Railroad
- Townsville Railroad
- Warrenton Railroad
- Wilmington, Brunswick & Southern Railroad
- Winston-Salem Southbound Railway
Railroad lines completed and operational in NC between 1921
|Independent railroads no longer in service in
North Carolina between 1921 and 1930:
- Asheville & East Tennessee Railroad - Abandoned in 1921.
- Carolina & Georgia Railroad - Opened in 1926. In receivership in 1927. Acquired by Tennessee & North Carolina Railroad in 1928.
- Carolina & Yadkin River Railroad - Re-organized as the High Point, Thomasville & Denton Railroad in 1923.
- Carolina, Clinchfield & Ohio Railroad - Jointly leased by Atlantic Coast Line and Louisville & Nashville Railroad in 1924.
- Durham & South Carolina Railway - Leased by Norfolk Southern Railroad in 1921.
- French Broad Railroad - Abandoned in 1926.
- Narron Central Railroad - Abandoned in 1924.
- New Hanover Transit - Abandoned in 1921.
- New Holland, Higginsport & Mount Vernon Railroad - Opened in 1923, ran out of money, abandoned in 1923.
- Randolph & Cumberland Railway - Re-organized as the Moore Central Railway in 1924.
- Roanoke Railway - Abandoned in 1926.
- Rockingham Railroad - Acquired by Atlantic Coast Line in 1922.
- Smoky Mountain Railway - Abandoned in 1927.
- Virginia & Carolina Southern Railroad - Leased by Atlantic Coast Line in 1922.
- Washington & Vandemere Railroad - Leased by Atlantic Coast Line in 1927.
- Watauga & Yadkin River Railroad - No longer operational since 1920.
- Wellington & Powellsville Railroad - Acquired by Carolina Southern Railway in 1926.