1) Mackall Auxiliary Airfield Airport
||Was Mackall Army Air Field. Originally named
Camp Hoffman, on February 8, 1943, General Order Number 6 renamed
the facility Camp Mackall in honor of Private John Thomas (Tommy)
Mackall. Historian Stephen E. Ambrose described the camp as a
"marvel of wartime construction," having been converted
from 62,000 acres of wilderness to a camp "with 65 miles
of paved roads, a 1,200-bed hospital, five movie theaters, six
huge beer gardens, a complete all-weather airfield with three
5,000-foot runways, and 1,750 buildings" in just four months.
Camp Mackall is the current location of initial qualification
training for the U.S. Army Special Forces. On the Hoke and Richmond
County Line, most in Richmond County.