North Carolina - Forsyth County Airports

Airport Name

At / Near Town

Type

FAA LID

Year
Opened

Year
Closed

Comments

1) Bert's Airport

Clemmons

Private

NC32

Unk

-
Owned and operated by Bert Bahnson (see Bahnson Gliderport in Davie County). Mapping unclear, this airport might actually exist in Davie County, and if so, then possibly the same as Bahnson Gliderport. FAA LID NC32 is also assigned to Rivercliff Airport, see below.

2) Maynard Field

Kernersville,
Winston-Salem

Defunct

-

1919

c.1935
Maynard Field was one of the first commercial airports in the South, and was dedicated on December 5, 1919, about halfway between Winston-Salem and Kernersville. With its two intersecting runways measuring 1,890 feet and 1,249 feet, hangar space, and even an early day equivalent of a Fixed-Base Operator (FBO) that made sure the torches were lit at dusk, Maynard Field was named to honor a young North Carolinian pilot named Lt. Belvin W. Maynard.

3) Miller Municipal Airfield

Winston-Salem

Defunct

-

1927

1942
1942, renamed to Smith Reynolds Airport, see below. A portion of land positioned off Walkertown Avenue (present-day Liberty Street) was located and determined to be the perfect site for a new airport. Clint Miller pledged $17,000 for the development of facilities at the new airfield, so when the new Airport Corporation met for the first time, they decided the new airfield would be named Miller Municipal Airport. Reynolds Aviation would be the main activity at Miller Field for its first five years. There were commuter flights to New York, Detroit, Philadelphia and Baltimore, and weekend taxi service to Wrightsville and Myrtle Beach. In 1932, when Dick Reynolds disbanded Reynolds Aviation, a group of local businessmen formed Camel City Flying Service. Camel City renovated the existing structures, strengthened field lights and installed a grandstand for aerial shows. In 1933, the Civil Works Administration, a program developed by The New Deal, began extending each runway by 500 feet, lining the main hangar floors with concrete and relocating the field lighting system. Throughout the 1930s, Miller Airport was the recipient of many projects supported by the New Deal including a new administration building, a third runway, and a new field lighting system. The airport land was expanded to 170 acres and a fourth runway was added by 1938. In 1940, Charles Norfleet, the president of the Airport Commission, contacted Eastern Air Lines, requesting them to begin servicing Miller Airport. When Eastern agreed to add Miller Airport to its north-south route network, Dick Reynolds and his sisters, trustees of the Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation, donated funds from the Foundation to further modernize and expand the airport. In 1942, Miller Municipal Airport was renamed and dedicated to Smith Reynolds, a pioneer in aviation before his untimely death at the age of 20.

4) Robertson Field Airport

Winston-Salem

Private

NC63

1972

-
Per AirNav - activated 4/1972. Owned and operated by William L. Robertson.

5) Smith Reynolds Airport

Winston-Salem

General
Aviation

INT

1942

-
Was Miller Municipal Airport (see above). In 1942, Miller Municipal Airport was renamed and dedicated to Smith Reynolds, a pioneer in aviation before his untimely death at the age of 20. From 1942 until 1945, Smith Reynolds Airport served as a training base for military pilots in addition to its commercial and private airline services. Owned by Forsyth County. Current FBO is Signature Flight Support.

6) Wedgewood Airport

Bethania

Private

-

-

-
Very little information available on this airport.

7) Whiteheart Farm Airport

Lewisville

Private

08NC

1993

-
Per AirNav - activated 6/1993. Owned and operated by William H. Whiteheart.


© 2019 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved