North Carolina - Dare County Airports

Airport Name

At / Near Town

Type

FAA LID

Year
Opened

Year
Closed

Comments

1) Billy Mitchell Airport

Hatteras

General
Aviation

HSE

1960

-
Per AirNav - activated 4/1960. Owned by the National Park Service. It is named after United States Army Air Service General Billy Mitchell. The North Carolina Department of Transportation Division of Aviation continues to operate Billy Mitchell Airport through a special agreement with the National Park Service.

2) Dare County Regional Airport

Manteo

General
Aviation

MQI

1947

-
Also Naval Auxiliary Air Station Manteo, see below. Per AirNav - activated 9/1943. Since the early 1940s, Dare County has been served by a small private airport. Starting out as Dare County Airport, a public airport was under construction at the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor, which prompted the U.S. Navy to abandon its plans to construct a Naval Auxiliary Air Station at Cape Hatteras, and instead focus on this airport, on Roanoke Island, which had a similar runway configuration. The Naval Auxiliary Air Station Manteo was completed by the Navy and commissioned on March 3, 1943. In 1947, NAAS Manteo was dis-established and control of the airfield was returned to Dare County. In 1983, it was taken over by the Dare County Airport Authority, which owns and operates the airport.

3) First Flight Airport
(aka Kitty Hawk Airport)

Kill Devil Hills

General
Aviation

FFA

Unk

-
First Flight Airport spans roughly 40 acres and features an airstrip measuring 3,000 by 60 feet, providing charter pilots and owner-operated aircraft a place to touch-down and take-off near Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills, two of the Outer Banks’ most popular destinations. Owned by the National Park Service. Operated by the NC DOT, Division of Aviation.

4) Naval Auxiliary Air Station Manteo

Manteo

Defunct
Military

-

1943

1945
Started out as Dare County Airport. Per AirNav - activated 9/1943. A public airport was under construction at the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor, which prompted the U.S. Navy to abandon its plans to construct a Naval Auxiliary Air Station at Cape Hatteras, and instead focus on this airport, on Roanoke Island, which had a similar runway configuration. The Naval Auxiliary Air Station Manteo (NAAS Manteo) was completed by the Navy and commissioned on March 3, 1943. NAAS Manteo was shared by the Civil Air Patrol and the U.S. Navy. As a naval air installation, NAAS Manteo and was used for special training of squadrons of F4F Wildcats, F6F Hellcats, SB2C Helldivers, TBM and TBF Avengers, PBY Catalinas and F4U Corsairs. The Navy and the U.S. Coast Guard conducted anti-submarine patrols from the airfield until the field was placed in caretaker status December 15, 1945. In 1947, NAAS Manteo was dis-established and control of the airfield was returned to Dare County. In 1983, it was taken over by the Dare County Airport Authority, which owns and operates the Dare County Regional Airport.


© 2019 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved