Sir Peter Colleton, 2nd Baronet and son Sir John Colleton, 3rd Baronet

Sir John Colleton, one of the original eight (8) Lords Proprietors, died before he was granted his Signiory, and was succeeded by his eldest son, Sir. Peter Colleton. On May 18, 1678, the Grand Council in South Carolina issued a warrent to Capt. Maurice Mathews, Surveyor General (and Deputy of Sir Anthony Ashley, Lord Proprietor):

"to admeasure and Lay out for Sir Peter Colleton Baronet one of the Lords & Absolute Proprietors of this Province twelve thousand acres of Land as a Signiorie upon the Wando River & that Tract of Land called the Mulberry plantacon."

At that point in time, the Cooper River was frequently called the Wando River - so, this grant was actually along the Cooper River. For some unknown reasons, this tract was re-granted to Sir Peter Colleton - 2nd Baronet two more times - once on January 6, 1685 and again on February 12, 1688.

The landgrant was soon known as the Fair Lawn Barony (acutally a signiory), often shortened to Fairlawn Barony. On September 6, 1679, a separate grant was issued to Sir Peter Colleton for 4,423 acres on the Cooper River, lying adjacent to and south of the Fair Lawn Signiory. This earlier tract was afterwards known as "Mulberry."

Sir Peter Colleton died in 1694 and was succeeded in his Proprietorship and Signiory by his son, Sir John Colleton, 3rd Baronet, who was a minor when his father died. His sister, Katherine Colleton was executrix of his estate and she contracted with Robert Ball to manage the South Carolina estate, with an annual salary of £30 sterling. Fair Lawy had been settled with slaves and livestock and was in condition for culture and utilization.

On September 21, 1702, Katherine notified Ball that her brother, Sir John Colleton, 3rd Baronet had reached maturity and ended their contract. Sir John then constituted Sir Nathaniel Johnson, Knight to be his representative and Deputy to take charge of his interests in South Carolina.

On January 20, 1708, Sir John Colleton, 3rd Baronet and Lords Proprietor, conveyed the tract of 4,423 acres, known as Mulberry Plantation, to Thomas Broughton. Broughton erred when constructing buildings on this newly-acquired tract - which ended up being on Fair Lawn Signiory. This prompted another exchange - on May 17, 1712 - and Sir John Colleton transferred 300 acres of Fair Lawn Signiory to Thomas Broughton, and Broughton transferred 300 acres from his other property to Sir John Colleton. Broughton paid Colleton another £150 for the embarrasment.

Sir John Colleton, 3rd Baronet and Lords Proprietor had three sons, of whom two, John and Peter, made South Carolina their home. John, the eldest son, generally styled as the "Honorable John Colleton," lived at Fair Lawn. To his second son, Peter Colleton, he had given the barony on Colleton Neck in Beaufort County, called the Oketee Barony or the Devil's Elbow Barony. Peter also purchased a plantation of about 300 acres, called "Epsom," lying on Biggon Creek, adjoining Fair Lawn Signiory to the northeast. Peter died unmarried and left the Devil's Elbow Barony to his elder brother, John. Epsom Plantation was devised to his other brother, Robert.

"Honorable John Colleton," died in 1751, three years before his father, the former Lords Proprietor.



Fairlawn Barony Plat


Source: The Baronies of South Carolina by Henry A.M. Smith, as published in the South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Volume XI, 1914.

 


© 2021 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved