Landgrave Thomas Colleton and son Landgrave Peter Colleton

Thomas Colleton, the second son of Sir John Colleton, Baronet and one of the original Lords Proprietors of Carolina, was created as a Landgrave on May 28, 1681. Under his patent as Landgrave, he was entitled to four baronies of 12,000 acres each, but it appears that only one barony was actually surveyed and laid out for him.

The grant for this 12,000 acres was issued on August 13, 1683, and was situated at the head of the eastern branch of the Cooper River. In old plats and deeds it was referred to as the Cypress Barony.

Landgrave Thomas Colleton was very active in helping to settle the new province, but there are no records of him actually coming to or residing in South Carolina. He died prior to 1692, and his lands passed to his son, Landgrave Peter Colleton. The latter also never made it to South Carolina. On July 18, 1707, he sold all his property to John Gough, Dominick Arthur, and Michael Mahon for £800 in bank bills of Barbados.

According to the Fundamental Constitutions, the barony of a Landgrave could not be sold away from the line of the holder of the title, but on April 14, 1709, the Lords Proprietors gave express permission that Cypress Barony might be sold and divided among the three purchasers.



Cypress Barony Plat


Source: The Baronies of South Carolina by Henry A.M. Smith, as published in the South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Volume XII, 1911.

 


© 2021 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved